Sunday, November 4, 2007

Week 4 No 8 RSS feeds

When I read the title of this learning area 'RSS feeds', I had no idea what RSS stood for, what it was, how to use it, and did not know that it existed. While I am doing this online learning at a snail pace I am really enjoying it. In between organising a 'pink fairy princess' third birthday party for my 3 year old daughter and 20 of her playgroup and toddler tune friends I manged to give myself an evening off from making pink fairy stuff to learn. AND WHAT A GREAT ADVENTURE. All this is so very very useful. Simply keeping up with frequently visited Internet web pages without having to retype web address, all in one convenient list, displayed to your preferences, to the exact spot you always go to, ie instead of the entire The Age, you can access the sports section for the day. This is how

I subscribed to www.bloglines.com. After listening to all the pod casts,and completing all the discovery tools I found www.bloglines.com very simple to use. Sometimes I think I am missing something because of the new stuffs ease of use...

Subscription to common feeds
I found it really easy to get started as once registered, bloglines prompted subscription to common feeds such as 'word of the day', 'quote of the day', CNN, BBC websites, so I began by accepting subscriptions to their suggested feeds.

Subscription to co-workers feeds
I used www.bloglines.com again to achieve this, I subscribed to chrisnugentblog.blogspot.com and 2 others by, accessing his blogspot, finding out his RSS URL address, in bloglines I logged into my account, I typed this URL, arrowed down to subscribe to URL, then when it appeared I clicked on subscribe.

Try adding more
I followed the same procedure to add ALIA's Incite, interestingly when I typed in www.alia.org.au I was given the option to be more specific so I just subscribed to Incite. For fun I also subscribed to unshelved www.unshelved.com.

No comments: